- At The Moment of My Mind -

Taking leaps of faith only to fall in step with Him.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Pre-marital Attack of the Butterflies

During this festive season my staff had taken a few days, 5 days to be exact, leave to fully indulge their Raya mood. Only, I wish they taken some time to bring a cake or a kuih to the shop once in a while for me. Ah, how kasian am I? *Will work for raya cakes!*

Anyway, update on the recent happenings.

Pat's wedding is coming. Who’s is Pat? Pat is actually Patricia Luin (AKA Izzah Batricia Binti Abdullah Luin) of Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam. Hahaha. I dedicate this entry entirely to her, basically because it’s gonna be about her marriage to the *ahem* Hamdani (AKA Mohammad Hamdani Bin Jailani.)



They've been a couple for four years now, ppl, and are getting married. Woohoo!

It’s coming closer now, the inevitable, the unavoidable and really, the undeniable fact that a close female friend is getting married soon. We’re talking about next few weeks soon, baby, yeah!

A tiny voice in my head squeaks “You know the old saying, dearie, three times a bride’s maid, never a bride.”

Well, fortunately this Pat is getting married in both Malay and Chinese style, both of which don’t require the presence of bride’s maids. Haha! I beat that old wives tale. (Why do old wives make tales anyway? Maybe they can’t have sex anymore? *ack!* Don’t be so mean! But then again…maybe it’s true?)

The other morning, I happened to watch on Oprah as to why 90% women in America have post marriage depression. Well, Oprah, that’s America, here in Brunei, an unhappy wife doesn’t have post marriage depression. They either have two things, credit cards or an affair with someone that has credit cards.

It’s sad, I know, but true. I’ve seen it happen countless of times. But seriously, though, doesn’t marriage mean anything to these people?

This however will never happen to Pat and Ham because I've never seen two love bunnies so...so in TUNE with each other. Pat talk, Ham listen. Ham cook, Pat eat. See? It's a match made in heaven.

Besides, both of them have credit cards.

But I digress. Back to Patricia’s wedding.

Wedding planning is no easy thing. People would tend to think of silk, satin, lace and veils. In reality, we’re talking about decisions, decisions and more decisions. Silver or gold? Pink or purple? Long or short? Up or down? Abalone or shark fin? Or both?

I have trouble even deciding what t shoes to wear sometimes, so I can’t imagine how it would be like to actually make final decisions on a wedding gown, a chapel and list of guests.

However, Patricia is a great girl and somehow manages to pull it off. Now she only has a few more adjustments to settle. This is how she’s like now.

Normal conversation with the bride to be:

Pat: “I’m getting married!”
Me: “Shikin, what u want to eat?"
Pat: ”In less than 3 weeks!”
Me: “I hear the butter chicken here not bad.”
Pat: “I got butterflies in my stomach...”
Me: ”Pat? What are u having?”
Pat: ”Did I book the rooms already?”
Shikin: ”Ooh, I like ur skirt, Pat.”
Pat: ”Oh no! The rooms! The rooms!”

*whips out her mini notebook to jot down wedding notes and to-dos.

Shikin & Me: *sigh*

No comments: